This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The climacteric is a universal phenomenon which has received relatively little attention from psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists and social workers all over the world, but almost no research on this subject has been carried out in the third-world countries. This study, carried out in India, has been conducted for the purpose of unravelling the difficulties that Indian women have to face during the climacteric.
405 married women between 40 and 55 yr of age from the general population were contacted and interviewed.
The results, obtained with the menopausal symptom checklist prepared by the authors, indicate (as do other recent surveys) that hot flushes, night sweats and insomnia seem to be clearly associated with the menopause. Also the incidence of other symptoms is described. Despite embarrassment or discomfort experienced from these symptoms by a majority of women, only 10% had apparently sought medical treatment. This study underlines the necessity of a multidisciplinary approach to the problems of menopause and ageing.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A new way of looking at environmental variables that may affect the age at menopause.Maturitas. 1978; 1: 121
- What happens at “the change”.1970 (New Society (29 October))
United Nations (1977) Demographic Yearbook.
- The menopausal syndrome.in: A study of case histories. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol.62. 1951: 1281
- Menarche and menopause of Rajput women.in: Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation. City University of New York, Graduate Center, 1974
- The menopause: reward or punishment?.Psychosomatics. 1975; 16: 161
- Cross-cultural factors that affect the age of menopause.in: Consensus on menopause research. 73. M.T.P. Press Ltd, Lancaster, U.K1976
- Psychosomatic approach to the menopausal syndrome.in: Treatment with opipramol. Psychosomatic medicine in obstetrics and gynecology. Karger, Basel1971: 617
- The menopause - a study of the attitudes of women in Belgium, France, Great Britain, Itay and West Germany.1970 (Geneva)
- The perimenopausal symptoms: the statistical analysis of a survey.Medical Gynecol. Sociol. 1969; 4: 268
- The age at menopause in the Netherlands.Int. J. Fertil. 1969; 14: 106
- Age at the menopause and onset of the climacteric in women of Martin District, Czechoslovakia.Int. J. Fertil. 1975; 20: 17
- Female attitudes to menopause.Soc. Psychiatry. 1970; 5: 35
- Ethnicity and adaptation to climacterium.Arch. Gynaekol. 1977; 223: 9
- An investigation of the age at menopause.J. Biosocial Sci. 1972; 4: 161
- The menopausal syndrome.Br. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 1974; 28: 108
- The subjective assessment of normal sleep patterns.J. Ment. Sci. 1962; 108: 641
- Age at menopause: United States 1960-62.in: National Center for Health Statistic Series 11. U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Washington, D.C1966 (No. 19)
- An investigation of the menopause in one thousand women.Lancet. 1933; 1: 106
- Women's attitude towards the menopause.Hum. Dev. 1963; 6: 140
- “Menopausal symptoms” in women of various ages.Psychosom. Med. 1965; 27: 266
- Age at natural menopause.Harefuah. 1967; 77: 513
- Menopause und klimakterische Symptome.Muenchner Klin. Wochschr. 1964; 106: 2
- Symptoms in the post-menopause - a population study.in: A preliminary report. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand.1971: 9 (Suppl. 50)
- An empirical investigation of certain personality characteristics in women before, during and after the menopause.in: Ph.D. dissertation. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi1980 (July)
- Menopausal age and symptomatology in a general practice.J. Biosocial Sci. 1973; 5: 71
- The ageing woman.in: About the influence of some social and cultural factors on the changes in attitude and behaviour that occur during and after menopause. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand.1975: 17 (Suppl. 51)
Government of India. Women in India - a statistical profile. Department of Social Welfare, Ministry of Education and Social Welfare, New Delhi.
- Differential age at menopause in the rural Punjab, India.Population Index. 1966; 32: 328
Accepted: October 13, 1980
Received: March 25, 1980
© 1981 Published by Elsevier Inc.