This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Silastic rings releasing approximately 200 μg of 17β -oestradiol per day were inserted into the vaginas of 4 post-menopausal women for one to three 21-day periods. Plasma concentrations of oestrone and oestradiol were analysed by radioimmunoassay. The effect of circulating oestrogens on FSH, LH and sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) levels as well as on the endometrium was studied. During the first 24 h of treatment the plasma oestradiol levels were higher than the oestrone levels. But during the following days of the 21-day periods, the levels of the two oestrogens were almost equal, varying between about 100 and 200 pg/ml plasma, a pattern similar to that seen in fertile women. The release of oestradiol from the ring gave stable plasma oestrogen levels. The FSH and LH levels were clearly depressed while the SHBG levels did not change. Characteristics of oestrogen influence were found in endometrial biopsies. The rings were well accepted and could be inserted and removed easily by the women. Absorption of oestradiol from the vagina is good and more complete than after oral administration allowing lower doses to be used for treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The absorption of conjugated estrogen and sodium estrone sulphate from the vagina.Ann. Chir. Gynaecol. Fenn. 1974; 63: 186-190
- Plasma levels of progesterone after vaginal, rectal or intramuscular administration of progesterone.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1971; 110: 470-477
- Plasma levels of oestrone, oestradiol and gonadotrophins in postmenopausal women after oral and vaginal administration of conjugated equine oestrogens (Premarin).Br. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 1978; 85: 957-964
- Absorption of estrogens from vaginal creams.N. Engl. J. Med. 1978; 298: 195-197
- Vaginal absorption of estrone and 17β-estradiol.Fertil. Steril. 1977; 28: 1063-1066
- Efficacy of intravaginal and intranasal administration of micronized estradiol-17β.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1977; 45: 1261-1264
- Contraceptive effect of varying dosages of progesterone in Silastic rings.Fertil. Steril. 1970; 21: 99-103
- Plasma levels of d-norgestrel and ovarian function in women using intravaginal rings impregnated with dl-norgestrel for several cycles.Contraception. 1976; 14: 215-226
- Clinical performance and endocrine profiles with contraceptive vaginal rings containing a combination of estradiol and d-norgestrel.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1978; 130: 55-62
- Clinical performance and endocrine profiles with contraceptive vaginal rings containing d-norgestrel.Contraception. 1977; 16: 626-636
- A radioimmunoassay of oestrone in plasma.in: Plasma levels of oestrone and oestradiol in oophorectomized rhesus monkeys during treatment with subcutaneous implants containing oestrone. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen). 87. 1978: 609-616
- Radioimmunoassay of oestrone and oestradiol in human and bovine peripheral plasma.Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen). 1972; 71: 716-730
- Radioimmunosorbent assay of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone in serum and urine from men and women.Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen). 1973; : 41
- A simplified method for the quantitative determination of testosteroneestradiol binding globulin activity in human plasma.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1972; 34: 983-988
- Local action of sex hormone.Physiol. Rev. 1948; 23: 23
Englund, D.E. and Johansson, E.D.B. (In prep.) Pharmacokinetic studies on estradiol. Oral administration of 2 mg and vaginal administration of 2 and 0.25 mg crystalline estradiol.
- Circulating estradiol, estrone and gonadotropin levels following the administration of orally active 17β-estradiol in postmenopausal women.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1975; 40: 518-521
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies on oestradiol valerianate administered orally to postmenopausal women.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1977; : 27-31
- Hormonal contraceptives and plasma sex hormone binding globulin.Contraception. 1975; 12: 149-153
- Effects of diphenylhydantoin, phenobarbital, and diazepam on the metabolism of methylprenisolone and its sodium succinate.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1975; 41: 887-893
Accepted: January 23, 1981
Received: November 20, 1980
© 1981 Published by Elsevier Inc.