This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A study of the effects of a conjugated estrogen (Femipren) upon various climacteric symptoms, depression and anxiety scores and psycho-social factors in 120 women around the menopause, was carried out in a Menopause Clinic.
In order to participate in this study, the women had to meet very strict criteria. A climacteric symptom list, the MMPI and a psycho-social questionnaire were used for assessment, and were employed before, during and at the end of 1 yr of hormone replacement therapy.
Typical vasomotor and psychic symptoms changed significantly as did such factors as self-image, optimism, perception of the future and satisfaction with personal appearance, in those patients who received hormonal replacement therapy for 1 yr. As the psychological factors changed only in those patients who received long-term estrogen therapy, a tentative hypothesis of direct psychotropic effect of estrogen was formulated.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Maturitas
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Twenty-five years later: a limited study of the concentration camp experience.Soc. Psychiatry. 1971; 6: 186-193
- Endokrinologische Psychiatrie.Thieme, Stuttgart1954
- Double-blind psychometric studies on the effects of natural estrogens on postmenopausal women.in: Campbell S. The management of the menopause and postmenopausal years. MTP Press, Lancaster1976
- Double-blind cross-over study of estrogen replacement therapy.in: Campbell S. The management of the menopause and postmenopausal years. MTP Press, Lancaster1976
- An MMPI handbook. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis1960 Second ed.
- Paper read at the workshop: Psychology in menopause at the Second International Congress on Menopause. 1978 (Jerusalem) Second ed.
- Adrenergic mechanisms in the control of sexual behavior: the relationship to depression and its treatment.in: Depression — the biochemical and physiological role of Ludiomil. Second ed. Proceedings of an International Symposium, Verdala, Malta, 1976. CIBA Laboratories, Horsham, England1977: 59-76 (Metropolis Press Ltd. London. Horsham, Sussex)
- The influence of estrogen on the well-being and mental performance in climacteric and postmenopausal women.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1977; : 1-91
- The psychology of the menopause and reaction to estrogen therapy.Harefuah. 1974; 87: 147-150
- Effect of exogenous estrogens on minor psychiatric symptoms in postmenopausal women.S. Afr. Med. J. 1973; 47: 2387-2388
- Comparison of the MMPI and mini-mult with women who request an abortion.J. Clin. Psychol. 1976; 32: 648-650
- Quantification and psychological indicators of emotions.in: Psychosomatic medicine. Second ed. Current trends and clinical applications. Oxford University Press, New York1977: 273-297
- A double-blind study into the influence of estriol on a number of psychological tests in postmenopausal women.in: van Keep P. Greenblatt R. Albeaux-Fermet M. Consensus on menopause research. MTP Press, Lancaster1976
- Prediction of the standard MMPI scale scores from 71 items: the minimult.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 1968; 32: 319-325
- The use of steroid hormones in depression.in: Itil T.M. Laudahn G. Herrmann W. Psychotropic action of hormones. Spectrum Publ. Inc, New York1976
- The results of psychological tests (MMPI) in climacteric women.in: Estrogen in the postmenopause. Second ed. Frontiers of hormone research. Vol. 3. Karger, Basel1975: 107-118
- The hypothalamic anterior pituitary system in the climacteric age period.in: Estrogens in the postmenopause. Second ed. Frontiers of hormone research. Vol. 2. Karger, Basel1975
- Proven beneficial effects of estrogen substitution in the postmenopause — a review.in: Second ed. Frontiers of hormone research. Vol. 5. Karger, Basel1978: 1-25
- The epidemiology of mental disorder in a community of newcomers to Israel.J. Coll. Gen. Practit. 1966; 11: 267-278
- The perception of menopause in five ethnic groups in Israel.Acta. Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. Suppl. 1977; 65: 69-76
- Selected studies of the menopause.J. Biosoc. Sci. 1973; 5: 533-555
- Experience of a National Health Service Menopause Clinic.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 1975; 3: 42
- The menopause.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1954; 156: 575-578
- Involutional depression.in: Arielie S. Second ed. Amer. handbook of psychiatry. Vol. 111. Basic Books Inc, New York1974: 698-709
- Definitive symptoms of postmenopause — incorporating use of vaginal parabasal cell index.in: Estrogens in the postmenopause. Frontiers of hormone research. Vol. 3. Karger, Basel1975: 74-94
- Cited in: General Discussion, Chairman Professor B.E.C. Nordin.in: Frontiers of hormone research. Vol. 5. Karger, Basel1978: 248
- Increased risk of endometrial carcinoma among users of conjugated estrogens.N. Engl. Med. J. 1975; 293: 1167-1170
Accepted: March 22, 1979
Received: October 25, 1978
© 1979 Published by Elsevier Inc.